Thursday, January 06, 2011




















































I rushed from one bolivian town to the next - La Paz, Cochabamba, Santa Cruz, without really warming up to any of them. Finally, I found a great hammock in the little village of Samaipata. There's an archaeologica site called "El Fuerte" 9 km out of the village where I hiked to one day, the last part of the way  the image of that local that saw me leave on food and just said "pero el calor!!!!!" haunted me, but I made it! I also had a glimpse on the Amboro National Park nearby. Another remarkable bustrip brought me to Sucre - the white city -, where I spend Christmas and New Years Eve, there are certainly worse places to get stuck at in Bolivia. I passed through the mining town of Potosi on my way to Uyuni, where most of the trips to the "Salar" start, which I thought would be a Bolivia-highlight and a good way to leave Bolivia ( and it certainly was). The Salar was stunning, nothing but white as far as you can see, but I also liked the EPIC desert landscapes that followed: some little vicuñas almost blending in with the background with their brown fur, and in the distance mountains with a mixture of colours ( vulcanic sediments) - milky white,caramel,yellow,red and different shades of brown blending into each other. And of course there were all those "lagunas", most impressive the "Laguna Colorada" with loads of flamingos , also vulcanos and geysirs to marvel at. I crossed the border into Chile at a little remote outpost and just arrived at the "touristvillage" of San Pedro de Atamaca

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dearest Anja.
again, fantastic photos.
the desert cactus ones as well as the steam rising are fantastic. I love the one of you one the railway. hugs to you. be safe.
~Jamin~

Anonymous said...

hi my friend!
it`s great to see new pictures and to see that you found yourself some friends to celebrate the holidays with! i was thinking about you a lot. miss you very mucho!!!
ruedi and my mom now have an official wedding date. june 11th. will you be back `til then?
hugs,
alice

Anonymous said...

also, anja, das sind traumhafte bilder, aber nciht dass du in der wüste verloren gehst?! pass auf dich auf! und sag mal: was machst du da mit dem kind? ich erinner dich nur an den spruch im büro!;-) weißt's noch? ich hab das nicht als witz aufgefasst...;-) lg katrin