Tuesday, March 06, 2007






















































































I walked the Great Wall! Well, at least 10 k's of it!!! .......After a nice spring day in Beijing, the weather became nasty over night, we went to see the summer palace on saturday and it was really really hard to see much, you couldn't see the shoreline of the lake, everything was covered in mist and cloud. When I looked out of the window the next morning I saw snow on the roofs. I went back to Tiananmen Sqare to see the forbitten city, much of the Square was closed down due to the anual meeting of the CPPCC members in the hall of the people/parliament, where they discussed the establishment of a harmonic society.....I went to see the Lama temple, the Drum and Bell Tower and those old little alleyways, called Hutongs, that start to dissapear as they are building huge highways and gigantic office buildings and shoppingmalls everywhere. When we left Beijing on monday, the snow had cleared the air, all the mist and smog was gone and the sky was blue, perfect weather for a hike on the Great Wall, we went to a more remote part of the wall, about 3 hours from Beijing, and except of some local villagers, who accompanied us half the way and tried to sell some souvenirs ( but also gave us a hand with the hiking/climbing), we didn't meet anyone out there. There was no mist or fog, we had an amazing clear view over the snowy hills and mountains, while the wall sneaked along on top of them. We stayed overnight at a guesthouse in Simatai near the wall and headed back to the Beijing railway station the next afternoon to catch the overnight train to Xian...guess what I'm gonna see tomorrow....!!!! ..... Oh, did I really forget to mention the public toilets in the countryside? Well, probably because I'm trying hard to get those pic's out of my mind again.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi darling!!!!

Amazing! You're in China!!!!! Will it be your last country to visit?? I've been in Victoria for way too long and am getting bored!! I should move on! I'm heading north and finally see Alaska! I should come back to Montreal before the visa runs out, and try Rockaberry again! Woo Hoo!

Chiho